Tampered champers

The Dutch food safety body, NVWA, has issued a warning about three-litre bottles of Moët & Chandon Ice Imperial champagne following a second incident that has sickened people. It appears the bottles in question may be spiked with high doses of MDMA. 

In Germany, in mid-February, a group of people showed signs of poisoning after consuming the champagne, eight people were taken to hospital, one subsequently died. Police in Germany are investigating this as a case of homicide.

On February 25th reports emerged of four people being taken ill in the Netherlands after consuming the same brand, and sized, bottle as those in Germany. The NVWA has said it does not know how the drug ended up in the champagne but said both in Germany and the Netherlands the bottles had been purchased via an ‘as yet unknown website’. The Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment has said this makes it difficult to determine if other Moët & Chandon types of champagne have also been affected. 

Moët & Chandon has been warned about the incident, and the NVWA has released the label code of the bottles that may be affected LAJ7QAB6780004. They have also released advice on how to spot if champagne may be contaminated: If it contains MDMA it will not be fizzy and the colour will be a reddish brown. It will also smell of aniseed.

Our Current Sponsors