Please be careful with what you throw in the trash

First responders in Maine are reminding people to be careful when they discard their trash after two people were treated for chemical burns on Monday. 

The Goodwins Mills Fire Department have reported that a container filled with hydrochloric acid ended up in the trash, and it was compacted in a garbage truck, the container broke and reacted with other items in the trash creating a fume cloud.

Two employees, who quickly tried to empty the truck thinking there was a fire, were taken to hospital to be treated for chemical burns. The Department of Environmental Protection was called to make sure the chemical was contained and there was no lingering danger in the air.

Check in your area to find out when and where you can dispose of an hazardous items, do not put them in the general trash where they could end up seriously hurting someone. 

Our Current Sponsors